Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Everything worth saying has already been said

And everything worth writing has also been written. Why am I persisting with this blog then? I don't know. Today, I just wanted to say that 'Things We Lost in The Fire' is a great film mostly because Benicio Del Toro is the risen lord of subtlety in it. He is so nuanced and accurate that you can't stop watching him.  He plays Jerry, a former lawyer with a heroin habit. You wait for him to dissemble and you wait for him to recover and you watch him watch his best friend's wife, Audrey, played by Halle Berry.  There, that's my review.  Anything more and I'll give away the film.
Another film I liked recently was 'Love Me If You Dare'(Jeux d'enfants) -- with its crazed young protagonists,  Julien and Sophie, who grow up into equally crazed lovelorn adults with an obsession for a childhood game. The best scene has the heroine (on a bet) wearing her underwear on top of her clothes for an exam. Weird as anything, but so good because their love, honest as it is, is sociopathic, as love sometimes is.
I know, my reviews are sketchy today. So am I, dear reader, so am I.

No comments: