Monday, May 11, 2009

Loose Change

For Anoopa, in response to Paper Money

Being alone can take you
to the doorstep
of any of the many
unsuitable men on this planet.

So while being alone
builds character,
it also breaks it. Yes,
this is the sound I make
as I eat my own words.

Being alone builds character.
I must have said that in the afternoon,
while still optimistic,
before the evening broke me
with its soft blows.

I nursed my drink and a city I once knew,
felt my way around it like we all did,
faltering, wanting something,
or someone.

©Reportergirl 10.05.09

9 comments:

Kunal Shah said...

i like this poem. your creation?

Reportergirl said...

yes, very much my creation though the inspiration came from my friend Anoopa.

anoopa said...

It's a lovely poem, Shef. Thank you muchly (mushly?) for it. I am teched. Huggu.

shenanigans said...

Beautiful. Loved it.

Reportergirl said...

Thank you ladies and monk!

Kalyani said...

You've got me hooked. Can't wait to see you published!

reportergirl said...

Thank you Kalyani!

bint battuta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bint battuta said...

Wonderful.