Monday, July 13, 2009

Good hare day

By Eugene Tong


In the hills above my home a family of wild hare reside.

This family, consisting of several large, well-fed grown-up hares and three little ones of various ages, spend their springs and summers lounging on the lawn in the shade, munching on grass and shrubs.



In fact, hares big and small typically emerge about two hours before sunset -- I guess it's a bit too hot to be foraging when the sun's out at full force. It's the same time when I have my dinner. Of note are the little hares, who are never alone. Their elders are always nearby, keeping a look out for potential dangers while the little ones munch and munch. Much like mama hare here.



Here's a little one -- and they're real tiny compared to the well-fed grown-ups -- hiding here as a scary human with a camera approached. One of them even has a white tail -- which sets it apart from its black-tail siblings. The photo is a bit blurry. It was shot with my 300mm zoom lens without a tripod, and my hands weren't especially steady.






Here's bird. I don't know what kind. But it likes to hang out by the rose bushes.










Sunset Saturday.










A nice sunset, set to hip-hop music coming from my Indian neighbor's backyard.










Hares can sure get pretty fat on a vegetarian diet.










Hares like to keep clean too.







--Photos by Canon Rebel XS.

No comments: